We can master anything we put our minds to. Learning to be a good listener can change your life. It’s key to sales, it’s key to being a good husband, it’s key to being a good father and it’s key to being effective in any important undertaking.
Give this excellent TED presentation a listen. It’s Julian Treasure telling us how to be better listeners. Julian gives us these 5 ways to listen better:
1. Silence: 3 minutes a day of silence
2. The Mixer: Distinguish how many channels of sound you can hear
3. Savoring: Make an effort to enjoy mundane sounds
4. Listening Positions: Active vs Passive, Reductive vs Expansive, Critical vs Empathetic
5. Receive Appreciate Summarize Ask
Being quiet and attentive makes you no less bold. Listen like a hunter. Listen with the ears of a coach or a teacher. Listen aggressively-- the world needs you bold, authentic and masculine.